2011年5月26日 星期四

Warming Up Your Audition Confidence


The casting process is a unique experience where anything can happen. The right haircut, a good breakfast, a voice that reminds the director of her favorite uncle- anything could be responsible for getting the callback. At times, our success as actors may feel beyond our control.

The easiest way to manage the audition is through self- confidence.

As with athletics - being in good "shape" as a performer will help us feel 'ready to manage' an unanticipated audition. We need to treat our craft like professional athletes treat their sport. We need to be committed to our facility.

There are some abilities we can sharpen -such as having a few monologues at the ready, networking, practicing the craft, exercising and taking care of our instrument.

Being prepared for opportunity requires self-assurance. In the audition situation, natural confidence happens when we believe, subconsciously, that we are capable of winning.

In 2005, I had the pleasure of working on the set of a major motion picture. At an off-moment, I found myself in a conversation with one of the lead actors. Our chat by-passed small talk and became surprisingly honest. The actor asked me why I was not part of the principle cast in the movie.

I hesitated with my answer. I could blame the state of the industry in the country, the difficult climate for actors in the city, or my agent. I also realized that these would all have been excuses. So, I answered ...

"I think that I've doubted myself and my abilities for too long. I know I can do this work but my fear has botched up too many auditions with too many casting directors."

I assumed that the actor would give me a little pep talk about "sticking with it". Instead, he said ...

"Yes, I have bombed some really important gigs because I have messed up auditions too. In these opportunities it has always been myself holding me back. That fear is a terrible thing."

Regardless of our level of success, it seems that many actors struggle with the same issue. Fear will always hold us back. This is true in many aspects of our lives - and especially in the field of acting. Auditions are moments of heightened importance where there is a group of people watching and evaluating our ability to make it to a new level.

"Giving people self-confidence is by far the most important thing that I can do. Because then they will act." ~ Jack Welch, author of "Winning".

There are many ways to relax and although helpful, they may all leave our awareness when we step into that audition space. Massage, a good night's sleep, a lucky charm, coffee are some of the things I have heard actors use before an audition to calm their nerves. These may be helpful but they cannot motivate our conscious action, thought and voice.

Hypnotherapy has been used for years to help athletes reach their optimum in their athleticism. It is also an effective tool in working with performance anxiety and has been effective for those trying to lose weight, quit smoking, conquer their fear of flying and numerous other phobias.

The brains' thought process is split between the conscious and unconscious mind. The unconscious mind is what feeds the thought patterns of our conscious mind. It uses memories to remind and protect us from potentially harmful situations.

This part of the brain is important for daily activities such as detecting unsafe circumstances, crossing the street, driving etc. If the "self talk" is not supportive, it can unfortunately be very limiting in new situations that the brain may perceive as potentially dangerous. By effectively speaking to the subconscious brain, we are able to change the non-supportive self-talk to more supportive beliefs. Having this "talk" aligned with relaxation and success, we are better equipped to handle the audition.

"Our subconcious minds have no sense of humor, play no jokes and cannot tell the difference between reality and an imagined thought or image. What we continually think about eventually will manifest in our lives." ~ Robert Collier, "The Secret of Power"

While in hypnosis, our brainwaves slow down to a relaxed state. We are fully aware of our surrounding while in this condition. This allows easier access to the unconscious mind and to offer suggestions that are more aligned with the thought process we are looking to adopt.

Research tells us that while in a calmer mind structure inhibitions are reduced and we have enhanced capacity for insight, creativity and healing. Because hypnosis is a relaxed trance state, it is particularly effective for reducing anxiety and enhancing feelings of confidence.

Audition confidence will carry our abilities to the attention of casting directors. We have a great need to harness the audition process.

The actor I mentioned, is a recent Academy Award nominee. His awareness of the importance of confidence can teach that we all are sharing in the effort to play our best at the 'sport' of acting.








Shani Scherenzel is the author of Star Power, A Hypnotherapy CD for Auditioning Actors. More information is available through http://www.starpowercd.com


沒有留言:

張貼留言